12/05/2010

Changing Impressions...


When I look back at the last three months, there are only good memories that come to my mind. Writing this last blog about my changing impressions on Japan is very hard. This was my second trip to Japan but this time I was staying for a longer period of time. In fact, I am not due to leave for a few more months still. This longer stay allowed me to realize certain things I had not fully appreciated during my first time in Japan.
Osaka, 2010

In my first blog post, I mentioned my surprise at the sight of temples that could be found anywhere even in the most usual places like sandwiched between two very modern buildings. Staying longer and near enough two large cities like Osaka and Kyoto that I visited several times, I can now attest to the welcome relief you get from visiting one of those many temples when experiencing modern city life. Large cities like Osaka are modern, very busy and always crowded with people everywhere. The city is very densely built and buildings are from all eras, from old and traditional to the very modern ones that nearly touch the sky. Most of the time there are no street lights because at night the neon signs and all the advertising on buildings actually give off enough light to see clearly in the streets. When you look at the sky, you usually see only wires overhead crossing the streets in all directions. The environment is energized and stressful. 
Osaka, 2010


Fiushimi Inaru, 2010
When entering the temples area, one can easily sense a big change. The pace slows down. Temples are usually very peaceful with only a few people inside.  The atmosphere is quiet and a refuge from the noise, traffic, ads and people outside. You can walk or sit in front of a rock garden and truly feel peaceful for a few minutes. This strong contrast between the loud city streets and the quiet temple is truly fascinating for me. Temples are everywhere but every time, you can find this quiet and Zen atmosphere when entering them. Even if the noise of the city and the busy life of people are just a few meters away, temples are truly a no-stress zone.

It is like finding a piece of the old Japan, peaceful and quiet, that remains hidden inside the busy and modern Japan. Such peaceful and relaxing places are precious. I understand why they are still around and open to anyone who needs a few minutes to think about something other than work, school and the troubles of everyday life.
I still have a few months to enjoy in Japan before leaving and a lot of temples I want to visit. I now know that every time, I will find a peaceful atmosphere inside the walls of those temples and even a little bit of nature.  And I will use that time to reflect on my wonderful experiences here in Japan.
Kennin-Ji, Kyoto, 2010

1 comment:

  1. I have similar feelings about temples and shrines here in Japan. For a culture that doesn't consider itself so religious, I, too, have found great peace in temples and shrines. That seems like religion to me...

    I have consistently enjoyed your blog - it has been a variety of interesting topics, observations and photos. Thank you for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete